The Week Ahead
MCCS Henderson Hall, Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall, Arlington VA 22214
HENDERSON HALL "THE WEEK AHEAD" • MAy 13 – 20
Updated: May 9
Monday, May 13
- “Boots to Business” is held today and tomorrow 8 AM – 4 PM in Bldg. 29, Rm. 104. Registration for this course is closed. To register for the August 19 – 20 session: 703-614-6828
- Cooperative Parenting and Divorce is held noon – 4 PM in Bldg. 12’s conference room. Register: 703-614-7204
- Marine Club Taste of the Orient buffet, 11 AM – 2 PM. $9.75 includes salad bar. Try our pizza! 703-614-2125
Tuesday, May 14
- Learn “How to Avoid Falling for a Jerk/Jerkette” at this workshop 9 – 11 AM in Bldg. 12’s conference room. The class teaches participants how to identify early on the behaviors that are red flags for future conflict, and emphasizes five crucial areas to explore with a dating partner. Registration is required by calling 703-614-7204.
- Own them today: "Dexter, The Seventh Season" for $45.99 on Blu-ray and $35.99 on DVD; and "Cloud Atlas" BRD Combo for $24.99. Sale prices are effective through May 18, 2013; low price guaranteed. 703-979-8420
- Marine Club Tex-Mex buffet, 11 AM – 2 PM. $9.75 includes salad bar. 703-614-2125
Wednesday, May 15
- The Java Café closes one hour early at 2 PM for employee training. The café will re-open tomorrow at 7:30 AM. We appreciate your understanding.
- Anger & Stress Management workshop continues weekly 9 – 11 AM. Start any time; pre-register at 703-614-7204
- "Building Your Network: Understanding The Hidden Job Market" is held 9:30 – 11 AM in Bldg. 29, Rm. 103. Learn to rethink networking and bring that next job closer with each interaction. Register: 703-614-6828
- The New Parent Support Program play group meets at the Indian Head USO 10 – 11 AM. Refreshments are sponsored by Navy Mutual Aid Association. 703-614-7204
- The MCX “AV Tech Central” sale begins today. Look for reduced prices on already low priced brand name merchandise from beats by dr. dre, Apple, Homedics, Sony, Samsung, and more. See flier online.
- Marine Club Italian Specialties buffet, 11 AM – 2 PM. $9.75 includes salad bar. Try our pizza! 703-614-2125
Thursday, May 16
- Do you want to learn more about the Exceptional Family Member Program? Attend “EFMP Basics” 11 AM – 1 PM in Bldg. 12’s conference room. Register: 703-693-5353
- "Cracking The Code To The Federal Hiring Process" is held 1 – 3 PM in Bldg. 29, Rm. 104. Learn about the federal hiring process and understand how to create a federal application package that will set you apart from the competition. Taught by a former HR Manager from the Office of Personnel Management. Register: 703-614-6828
- Marine Club Southern Comfort buffet, 11 AM – 2 PM. $9.75 includes salad bar. Try our pizza, 11 AM – 2 PM! Bar opens 4:30 – 8 PM. Come watch the NBA playoffs on the club’s big screens every Thursday night in May. 703-614-2125
Friday, May 17
- PREP is held for newly engaged couples 9 AM – 3 PM in Bldg. 29’s chapel. Registration has closed. Information: 703-693-8906
- Marine Club Seafood buffet, 11 AM – 2 PM. $11.75 includes salad bar. Bar opens 4:30 – 11 PM. The club holds “Marine Club Idol,” with bragging rights going to the best singer, best performer, and bravest performer, starting at 6:30 PM. Come watch the entertainment and watch the NBA playoffs on the club’s big screens every Friday night in May. Bar menu available. 703-614-2125
Saturday, May 18
- The Marine Corps Exchange holds the annual American Summer BBQ Expo 10 AM – 2 PM in front of the store. The event features grills and grilling accessories, outdoor cooking demonstrations, beer tastings for patrons age 21 and older, and gourmet food tastings. A deejay will provide entertainment, and a pulled pork BBQ sandwich lunch will be available for sale 11 AM – 2 PM. Door prizes, including gift cards, will be drawn for. 703-979-8420
Sunday, May 19
- Alexandre London has a Made-To-Measure 2 Suit Special for $750 (see associate for full details) through today.
- Data Baba Oriental rugs has been extended through today at the Marine Corps Exchange near the Java Café. Neither a DOD ID card nor Exchange privileges are needed to buy from Data Baba. 703-979-8420
Monday, May 20
- Registration closes today for the May 22 Iwo Jima 7k Race. Held on the joint base, the race begins at 6:30 AM at the Cpl Terry L. Smith Gym and proceeds to the Marine Corps War Memorial, popularly known as the Iwo Jima Memorial, before returning to Smith Gym. Tee-shirts will be given to the first 150 registered participants, and prizes will be awarded to the top three male and female runners. Onsite registration is available the day of the event beginning 5:15 – 6:15 AM. For more information and the link to register online, please call 703-614-5959 or visit http://www.mccshh.com/OohRahRunSeries.html.
- Do you want to learn more about the Exceptional Family Member Program? Attend “EFMP Basics” at Marine Barracks Washington Post 5, Rm. 146. Register: 703-693-5353
- Marine Club Taste of the Orient buffet, 11 AM – 2 PM. $9.75 includes salad bar. 703-614-2125
- Marine Corps Family Team Building holds a Facebook Live Chat Tuesday, May 21, noon to 1 PM, on the topic “Get Out and Explore D.C.” Interested people take part in the chat by registering on the MCFTB Facebook page, www.Facebook.com/MCFTB or find out more information by calling 703-693-4840.
- MCCS announces hours of operation for the Memorial Day (observed) federal holiday Monday, May 27. The Marine Corps Exchange and The Vineyard Wine & Spirits are open 10 AM – 6 PM. The barber shop opens 11 AM – 3 PM. The Java Café opens 10 AM – 3 PM. The Cpl. Terry L. Smith Gymnasium opens 9:30 AM – 6 PM. The Maj. Douglas A. Zembiec Pool opens 8 AM – 5 PM. All other MCCS activities are closed except the car wash, open 24 hours a day.
- The Marine Club offers freshly-made pizza for eat in or to-go. Service hours are 11 AM – 2 PM, and wait times depend on time of day and volume. All pizzas are 16 inches and come with a variety of toppings. Prices range $12 for cheese pizza to $15 for “supreme” with eight toppings. See more at www.mccsHH.com/Club.html or call 703-614-2125.
- The pool remains closed for spring maintenance and conversion. The pool is expected to reopen in mid-May. 703-693-7351
- The Pull-up Clinic continues Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays (except holidays), 11:30 AM – 12:30 PM, in the Cpl Terry L. Smith Gymnasium. All DOD ID card holders are welcome, and no advance reservations are necessary. For more information: 703-693-9440
- For ongoing tests given by Education & Career Services, please phone 703-614-9104 or visit www.mccsHH.com/learning.html.
- Keep aware of MCCS Henderson Hall activities by liking mccsHH on Facebook and following mccsHH on Twitter. Also visit our website, www.mccsHH.com and our new mobile website, www.M.mccsHH.com.
- The United States Marine Corps challenges Marines: win your personal battles. Help is available through online chat or phone for anonymous, peer-to-peer counseling 24/7. Online chat is at DSTRESSLINE.com or call 877-476-7734. This is a service of the United States Marine Corps.
There is no federal or Marine Corps endorsement of commercial sponsors. Please drink responsibly.