Retired Activities Office – Battalion Special Staff

Building 29, Room 203  |  703-693-9197  |  DSN: 224–9197  |  Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday: 8 AM – 4 PM
POC: Larry Ward,
Retired Activities Office

Retired Activities Office

The Retired Activities Office offers information and referral to retirees.

The Henderson Hall Retired Activities Office is a battalion function that offers information and referral to retirees. The office is operated by a volunteer retired Marine who can assist other retired members, their families and survivors to receive entitled services and benefits. The Henderson Hall Retired Activities Office supports quality of life issues throughout the retirement years to their fellow service members.

Lawrence G. Ward, 1st Lt. (RET), USMC will be happy to assist you and can be reached at 703-693-9197. His email address is Office hours are: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday, 0800-1600.

Veterans Affairs Benefits

National Resource Directory

The National Resource Directory (NRD) provides access to services and resources at the national, state and local levels that support recovery, rehabilitation and community reintegration.

Medical & Dental Benefit Information

To request military personnel and/or health records
Depending upon the service branch and the year the veteran is discharged, deceased, or retired the military record could be located at different locations. Go to the National Archives ( and select location of service branch.

Department Of Defense – Form 214 (DD-214) Online

The National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) has provided the following website for veterans to gain access to their DD-214s (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty). Military veterans and the next of kin of deceased former military members may now use this online military personnel records system to request documents.

ID and Privilege Cards

TUpon retirement, you were issued a DD Form 2 (Retired) to replace your active duty ID card. If your retired card is lost or damaged, you can get a replacement card from the nearest Realtime Automated Personnel Identification system (RAPIDS) site. If you are not shown in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS), the issuing activity can request verification of your entitlement by contacting the Retiree Activities Section (MMSR-6) at (800) 336-4649.

Henderson Hall ID Section

Larry Ward

HQ USMC Henderson Hall
1555 Southgate Road., Arlington, VA 22214
Building 29, Room 300

All of your eligible family members should have had their ID cards reissued upon retirement. You can apply for renewal or replacement of the DD Form 1173 for your family members at any RAPIDS site (see below). The primary means of verifying eligibility is made through DEERS. If the family member is not listed in DEERS, you must provide sufficient documentation to show entitlement. Read more information at, go to careers> Retired Marines>

Travel Privileges

Please visit military travel benefits web site for eligibility, space available flights, schedules, required documents, and many convenient and inexpensive lodging facilities.

Veteran Retirement Homes

Please visit Armed Forces Retirement Homes web site.

In the event of a Military Retiree's Death

  1. Stopping retirement pay is critical to avoid indebtedness. Notify DFAS 1-800-321-1080 (if receiving normal retired pay). Have readily available: Social Security number of deceased annuitant, Annuitant’s date of death, Name, address and telephone number of next-of-kin or contact person, Specify who will send a copy of the death certificate. Notify Department of Veterans Affairs 1-800-827-1000 (if receiving disability pay from VA).
  2. Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP) election. Designated annuitants will receive notification from DFAS if the deceased retire Marine elected the SBP. If you are uncertain of whether an election was made, call DFAS at 1-800-321-1080. In order to better understand the SBP read more at the Marine Corps Manpower website.
  3. Update your military Identification card. As the survivor of a deceased Marine, your ID card must be updated to reflect the change in status due to the Marine’s death. Also, this will ensure you do not fall out of the DEERS system for Tricare benefits. See Identification & Privilege card section above.
  4. Notify the Social Security Administration. Call 1-800-772-1213 to apply for the $225.00 death benefit (if applicable).
  5. Click here to download Military Funeral Honors Guide.

Useful Links

Official Marine Corps website
Defense Finance and Accounting Service
Social Security Administration
Federal and State Tax info, publications and forms
Department of Veterans Affairs
Defense Link
Manpower Site
Armed Forces Retirement Homes
Military Funeral Honors Guide
Survivor Benefit Plan
DVA Data Loss Information
Tricare Military Health System

Leaders Guide for Retirement and Separation

Information and resources about life after being in the military, including information for military retirees, military veterans, and employment information for those with military experience.

The mission of the Marine For Life Program is to provide transition assistance to Marines who honorably leave active service and return to civilian life and to support injured Marines and their families

Military Pay and Benefits Website sponsored by the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness. Currently, the major elements of your compensation are discussed. Future upgrades to this site will include expanding the topics available.

To ensure a smooth change, it pays to do your homework long before you hang up the uniform. Likewise, you should make sure you know as much as you can about the benefits you rate as a result of your military service. Read on to learn more about health care, veterans’ job preference for government employment and more.