SMP Upcoming Events
Starting in March, all SMP events requiring registration will be done online at EventBrite. All trips, unless otherwise stated, leave from The Kickback, Bldg. 416. Trips must be paid for at the time of registration. For more information please call 703-979-8420 ext. 313 or email Marcus.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pre St. Patrick's Day Cardboard Boat Regatta
Friday, March 16 • 7:00 am • Zembiec Pool.
Compete versus your fellow Marines to win prizes in our annual Cardboard Boat Regatta. Free Breakfast provided. Register by March 9.
- Event will start at 0700. All participating groups MUST arrive early for check-in and judging between 0630-0700. The races will start after the judging concludes. Everyone is welcome to watch and cheer on competitors.
- Groups may only build a boat using approved materials, or else they will be disqualified. Approved materials include: corrugated cardboard and duct tape. For decoration purposes, markers, cloth and limited plastic may be used. These elements may only be used for design and can NOT aid in structure or enable flotation.
- Participating groups must register by March 9 with the SMP Coordinator at 703-979-8420 ext. 313. Three rolls of duct tape per group will be provided by SMP upon registration. Additional duct tape is allowed but must be acquired by the group. Duct tape can be picked up at the SMP Coordinator’s Office in Bldg 29, 3rd Deck during their office hours of M-F 0730-1600.
- Groups must construct their boat prior to race day. Finishing touches may be applied on site at check-in.
- Each group will send one crew member in their boat down and back across the pool. The crew member will be provided a life jacket and a paddle.
- Judges will be determining the winning boats in all categories and announce results at the completion of the regatta. The 1st place trophy will be awarded to the winner with the highest overall combined points.
- Cardboard can be obtained upon request at the Marine Corps Exchange, Commissary, Ft. Myer Exchange or off base retail/appliance stores, etc.
- Creativity, costumes and theme design are highly encouraged.
Points Awarded in the following categories:
• Fastest time
• Most Unique Boat
• Team enthusiasm/Espirit de Corps
*A team award will be given to the group with the highest overall combined score in the categories above.
Saturday, March 24 • Depart at 8:00 am from HH Rec Center • MCB Quantico.
Enjoy a day full of games and fun at Quantico Paintball Park.
Grate Patrol (Volunteer)
Thursday, March 29 • Depart at 5:15 pm from Smith Gym pull-up bars.
Join SMP as we give back to the homeless population in D.C.! Volunteers will be helping deliver meals to the homeless residents in various locations throughout Washington D.C.
Spirit Equestrian (Volunteer)
Saturday, March 31 • Depart at 8:15 pm HH Rec Center.
Volunteer and have a great time helping others at SPIRIT Equestrian Center.